I received the Marketing Toolkit today from iUniverse. It’s a cornucopia of pre-designed postcards, bookmarks, posters, buttons…the list goes on! I’m overwhelmed!! It comes with a large instruction booklet for how to use the materials and to have them printed professionally, each on a certain kind of paper. This is familiar territory to me as I’ve dealt with printers through my previous work many a time, but it’s real nice not to have to design the cards and to decide what kind of paper I want even if Arial is my least favourite font!
What a day! From the high of receiving my final proofs to the low of seeing two stupid errors to the relief of my PSA saying send the changes in and we’ll fix them.
The spelling of the award Judy received really challenges my brain. I have to check the spelling every single time I see the word, and when I think I finally have it right, it’s wrong! That was error #1. At least it was spelled correctly in the chapter title, but I couldn’t believe somewhere along the line it had become misspelled in the text and I hadn’t caught it earlier. Well, we’re all human, eh? Even me!
So after I decided to let that go and not request iUniverse to fix it, I came across error #2. And this one was truly aggravating. I had asked the proofreader to remove the periods in the degrees after one of the doctor’s names, to be consistent with the style for all the other docs. Hmmm…I’d better back up a little. iUniverse sends you this nifty proof form where you type in the page #, paragraph #, and line #; then the way it looks now; the way you want it to read; and lastly explicit instructions on what you’re changing. You can use the form in Microsoft Word or WordPerfect. Both there programs are very helpful in the same way, that is, they automatically change “(C)” to a copyright symbol. Except I didn’t want a copyright symbol after the degrees, I wanted (C). I changed it back. The program changed it back somewhere along the line, and I missed it. And so that’s what the proofreader did — removed the periods and changed the (C) to a copyright symbol. Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh!
I’ve calmed down now. My PSA, Mike, came to the rescue and arranged to have the changes made with no huge hit on my wallet. So the book is off to production, and the next time I hear from iUniverse, it will be to see the final thing, the actual book. Exciting!!!
iUniverse sent me PDF files for the paperback cover, the hardcover, and the book block (the internals). They looked very good. I was impressed with how they styled my chapter titles and harmonized the spine and back cover with the front cover. They made one small change to the front cover — my name is now in dark blue instead of black. Much nicer.
Now, I just need to finish off the marketing plan. The pressure is off though because I’m hiring a publicist to promote the book for me. For 3 months anyway.
Lifeliner has officially been awarded Publisher’s Choice!!! I also saw the cover copy for both the paperback and hardcover editions, and it’s really good!
The iUniverse Design Services Associate sent me the front cover. Looking good! Now, book production starts in earnest. The book block will be designed, then the text proofread before I see it and review the proofreading changes (hopefully there won’t be many). After that, the book quickly becomes a physical and finished reality. Cannot wait!
The book cover is being designed, and then the Publisher’s Choice committee will review and approve it, after which it will be sent to me for approval. Very exciting!
Really pushed myself, and could not wait to take a nice, long break, but I got all the revisions done on time. This is it, folks. This final manuscript is the one you all will read once it’s published. What a nerve-wracking thought, but exciting too! Exciting because it means that from here on, except for proofreading, it’s all design and publishing stuff.
Received back copy edit. Well, let’s just say, I need to brush up on my grammar. Maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on myself — there was quite a bit of fixing to conform to house style too!